In this article, I will compare two credit cards that are currently trending because they give cashback on everything without any conditions – Paytm First vs Amazon Pay Credit Card. I will also write a few lines on Flipkart Credit card.
Until a few months back, most of the cashback credit cards in market offered cashback either to a wallet or with lots of conditions (like categories, minimum/maximum spend etc). The arrival of Paytm First Cashback credit card has changed this game completely. Giving it company are cashback credit cards from Amazon Pay and Flipkart.
Let us look at how they stack up against each other and whether it is good idea to get them or not.
Paytm First is offered by Citibank while Amazon Pay is issued by ICICI. Both are Visa cards
Both the cards are invite-only. That means you will have to keep checking on Paytm and Amazon site regularly to find out if you have got the invite.
Joining / Annual fees
Paytm First Card – 500 rupees joining / annual charge (to be paid at end of 1st year and waived if annual spend >50K)
Amazon Pay Card – No joining / renewal fees
Paytm First Card => Flat 1% cashback on all spending. So whatever is your monthly spend, you get 1% as cashback in your next bill.
Amazon Pay Card =>
- 5% (for Prime members) / 3% (for Non Prime) cashback on purchases from Amazon.in
- Digital and Gift Card purchases, bill payments and mobile recharges from Amazon.in earn 2% cashback.
- 2% cashback on Amazon Pay partner merchants
- 1% cashback on everything else
- Cashback is in the form on Amazon Pay Balance instead of money
Paytm First Card => Apart from the 1% cashback, this card offers additional benefits in the form of Paytm First membership (similar to Amazon Prime and Flipkart Plus membership). And the vast categories ensure that there is something for everyone. Below are a few of the offers which I have availed so far. These have given me benefits over 10,000/- so far. :
- 3 months Storytel membership => world of audiobooks => benefits worth 849/-
- 6 months access to Shaw Academy => online learning of various courses => benefits worth 3600/-
- 3 months Zomato Gold membership => for food lovers => benefits worth 750/- (will activate once Covid situation improves)
- 3 months EazyDiner Prime membership => for food lovers => benefits worth 695/- (will activate once Covid situation improves)
- 12 months Gaana Plus membership => for music /podcast lovers => benefits worth 399/-
- 10% discount on all Ubergo and Uber Premier rides => benefits worth 1000/- (will activate once Covid situation improves)
- Adding minimum 500/- to Paytm wallet every month => benefits worth 360/- (30/- per month)
- BOGO on movie tickets every Friday => for movie lovers => benefits worth 2400/- per annum assuming 200/- discount per month (will activate once Covid situation improves)
- There are many others which you can use depending on your needs
Amazon Pay Card=>
- There is no extra benefit apart from the cash back you receive. However, you can always redeem Amazon Pay balance on lots of things 🙂
Should you take this card?
Paytm First Card => Paytm is the most accepted wallet in India. It is accepted even by vegetable, fruit, chaat vendor. This means you can live without spending cash. Just add money to the Paytm wallet via credit card and pay via wallet while earning 1% and additional 30/- cash back per month. This feature along with its Paytm First membership benefits means that you should aim to get this card asap.
Note => Via Credit card, you can only add upto 10K per month in your Paytm wallet without incurring extra charges. Higher amount will result in additional charges being applied.
Note => Your application will be rejected if you already hold 2 citibank credit cards.
Amazon Pay card => There is no reason for not getting this card. As I said in my other blogs, you should always say yes to Lifetime free card. And who doesn’t buy on Amazon? So, a free card giving you good cashback is always a wonderful thing to have 🙂
Note – I also checked Flipkart Axis card which is a Mastercard. While the cashback is 5% on Flipkart/Myntra, 4% on partner purchases and 1.5% on all others, I lost interest when I saw the welcome benefits. Most of them (except airport lounge) can be availed without the card also. So if you either shop a lot on Flipkart/Myntra or do not have any other credit card offering airport lounge access, you can get it. Else, forget it. Charges are 500/- per annum waived if annual spend >2L.